fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Let's remember



Memorial Day was originally known as "Decorating Day," so named as war widows of the American Civil War would decorate the graves of their fallen soldier husbands.

I have been requiring my family to watch the 1952 documentary series "Victory at Sea" with me. Although the 26 episodes are a bit heavy on the violins of the NBC Orchestra, this documentary series was comprised of footage from all participants in World War II and is, I imagine, historically very accurate, as this series was put together only a few years after the final German surrender in May, 1945, and the survivors involved in these horrible events were very much alive. If I can look beyond the black-and-white nostalgia and listen beyond those screeching violins and whining piccolos, I only see very young men and massive, massive destruction. 

Today, I have the feeling that most Americans see Memorial Day as a day of hotdogs and clearance sales. However, in 2000, a resolution was passed to observe a Moment of Remembrance at 3:00 pm on Memorial Day. Just a moment. One little moment. 3:00 pm. Can you remember?

1 comment:

lissilulu said...

I didn't know about the 3:00 observation on Memorial Day.
Thank you

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails