fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Winging it.





I made something with garlic. Garlic promotes cardiovascular health, keeps mosquitoes, vampires and unwanted kisses at bay and now inspires creative hours. This is Claudia's Knoblauchrock, or "garlic skirt". Quite an original design: The finished skirt sort of has the form of a garlic. Very tasty indeed. And Claudia is quite the creative talent. I admire her greatly.

This skirt seemed to say "lady-like" to me and I wanted a little lady-like blazer. I didn't have a pattern at hand, so I tried my hand at drafting one. How tough can that be? I just need to get that one lapel/front piece right and the rest should just follow right along, right? And some ruffles. Yeah, ruffles across the back. Lady-like ruffles. And maybe one ruffle to come around the bottom. But not all the way. And some puffy things on the cuffs. Puffy lady-like cuff things. And lined. Of course, fully lined ...

Flying a bit close to the sun here. I spent a good day on drafting and got bored and then careless with the whole thing. I should have measured the lining pieces instead of winging it. Anyway, my laziness resulted in the Mystery Half-Inch Too Much. This Mystery Half-Inch Too Much sort of traveled its way about the blazer only to be scrunched up and hidden under that yo-yo/button blob on the right ... and then finished off with a silly bit of bias tape ... Ta-Da! I can almost hear the collective cringe among Home Ec teachers.

Scrunched up blobs and emergency bias tape are nothing a good hat, some sunglasses and a great purse can't cure, I say.

I let Anna have free reign in my let's-play-dress-up, um, vintage curations. I think she did a fine job in stying.

FYI: Stenzo corduroy. Fabrics from Beseme Baby and Fabric Bliss.

3 comments:

Dibabo said...

who in hell is Heidi Klum?


:o*
Diba

Nancy Lagerfelds daughter?

Toni Hamel said...

FABULOUS!

mooi hoor... said...

Oh these pics crack me up! This shooting and the preceeding dress-up must have been a lot of fun. ...and the last one of the lot: her mouth (still pouting because she TOLD her assistant MORE than once to get San Pellegrino instead of Evian because she felt like bubbles...)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails