fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Friday, December 28, 2007

Alan and me.


Alan Greenspan and me: We agree on a lot of things. Including the sad state of the American educational system.

While First Graders in Finland and Korea are learning multiplication and the scientific method, American First Graders are discovering yet another creative use of dried pasta. Here, farfalla dyed green and made into a Santa Lucia crown!

You're kidding me, right?

And, no, the child cannot read or do basic maths. That would be up to me. We--and I do mean we--have quite the homework assignments. Pasta crafts the School District is handling. Phonics, flash cards and writing: All mine.

3 comments:

Eva said...

Hi Nancy,
unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean. With us it's not farfalle but mandalas. If I ever see another mandala within the range of less than 20 feet of my daughter I start screeming....yep I will (and I'm a quiet person - much to the dismay of any of my past and future partners....but that's leading away from the matter..;) Although this was more than 3 years ago, we still suffer the consequences (is that how you spell it in english :?) of a severe mandala trauma.
Now in 4th grade I spent most of my afternoons trying to motivate my child through pages and pages of dull endlessly repeating homework...either math or german. So much for PISA...THANKS..:(((.
Sometimes I catch myself dreaming of just packing our stuff and leave for the holy land of education: Sweden...(since I heard the korean language doesn't exactly match my middle-european tongue;) In Sweden there's better jobs as well....but definately less sun.
Anyway, a big cause sometimes needs a big sacrifice (I did read they get up real early there..even for a german standards :(..)
See you there...;)
Eva

Missy said...

dzWho knew perfectly painted farfalla would be the most sought after skill upon graduation? Anna does look adorable in green pasta though, so there is a silver lining.

Homeschooling does have some benefits for us, we get to make invisible ink for science. :-)

sandra said...

oh ich kann mich gut erinnern an die zeit...ich hätte schreien können
aber bei uns war ab kindergarten, also vor der ersten klasse, rechnen und co dran...das war in ga....
und ich fand die schule schon etwas "gewohnheitsbedürftig"
bb
sandra

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails