fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Friday, September 26, 2008

WANDA W.I.P.

Make some darts! No, no skipping the darts at the knees: The darts rock!





I didn't photograph it, however, after stitching along the marked line, the dart needs to be pressed downward topstitched, as well.

Find the marks and stitch on the happy flappies at the seam allowance to the back pant leg lower half. (Have we settled on "happy flappies"?)




Stitch the lower pant leg front halves to the back halves. I've made sure to stitch one font part to the left edge of one back part and on the right on the other pant leg back. And I topstitch with the seam allowance pressed toward the front, so that the flap details look like they are going under the seam.



Now, I stitch the pant leg lower halves to the pant leg upper halves. Can you kinda see why I chose to make a bottom and top pant leg full half? So I could have the front pocket go in the seam allowance at the top? And have the flap details go in the seam allowance the other way down below? No? With these thicker materials, I think it is a good way to go.

And at some point along here I also stitched on the back pockets at 1/8th inch from the pocket edge.



And I stitch the inseams.



I insert one pant leg turned right side out into the other pant leg turned right side in, pin and stitch the crotch seam up the end of the fly extensions.





Moving right along! Kermit likes flies. And so should we. We'll put in another zipper fly.

Ready for the zipper fly? I've asked Murphy to assist me today. Murphy is my Yoda. And remember, Murphy has taught the greatest minds in history, so I'm honored to have him join me today.

Murphy's light saber equivalent:



This is how the zipper fly will stack.





I press the fly extensions A & B back. B will go over the center line a smidgen, about 3 mm.



I stitch E to C. I make sure the tops of the zipper tapes are flush with the edge of C.



If the zipper is placed too far at the top of C, then we'll never be able to get the waistband on. Murphy has been there before, haven't you, Murph?



That's much better. Just like that:




Okay, Murph, let's pin that bit of C outta the way...



....and stitch zipper tape D to fly extension A.



Let's turn all of this to the right side, pin strategically and mark the topstitching line.



I'm ending this topstitching line in bar tack. I will also tack at the base a bit of fly extension A to C, just to keep that all in place.

And that's about it! Take a bow, Murph.


2 comments:

wondermommy said...

Nancy, I haven't checked your blog in a couple of days and I come back and you are making the very pants that I just ordered about three days ago! I'm so happy to see this. I can't wait for my pattern to arrive.

lissilulu said...

waaaaaaa....I have to wait to buy this pattern til I have some money.
My 9 year old will LOVE it.
What a way to have the suspense...I am on the edge of my seat to see the finished product. :o)
Lori

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails