fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

If it ain't broke, don't Bend it.


The L.A. Galaxy has put all its eggs into one Beckham. Frankly, I don't think if Posh Spice, her fine self, got out there and sang "I tell you what I want, what I really, really, want .... uh-huh uh-huh" to David Beckham dancing the macarena in his birthday suit that that would do anything to improve attendance to Major League Soccer in this city of a measly 10 million entertainment-obsessed people. I don't know why. I really don't. But, really, look at that, um, "crowd". Admittedly, Mr. Beckham will not don the cleats and grace the grass until July. And perhaps it will take a while for not a few of us to not confuse soccer's most recognizable player in his new blond do with the former goalie, Kevin Hartman. All in all, I don't think soccer will displace football, or, for that matter, curling or professional log rolling in popularity. And if that's the case, that's fine with me. Galaxy games are great, just the way they are: The tickets are inexpensive, those in attendance are real fans, there are no crowds, parking is easy, no lines for food and no traffic jams getting out. I always seem to run into somebody I know from the school or the neighborhood or the AYSO. The kids always get autographs, friendly waves and high fives from the players. I kind of imagine that was how professional sports was half a century ago, when sports provided a comfortable living, but not new, heretofore unimagined tax brackets. A few of the players stop by every year to hand out autographs, play games and generally goof around with the kids in the local AYSO. I cannot imagine an NFL or MLB player doing the same. One Galaxy groupie, a lumpy lady close to sixty, chatted me up: She had a pleasant personal anecdote to share about just about every player. I can't imagine that the ladies, who hang around the Lakers could share their personal NBA encounters with the kids sitting right there.

While the investors surely will not agree with me, I hope Mr. Bend-It doesn't do much to improve Major League Soccer. It's perfect just the way it is. Don't Bend it, if it ain't broken.

Galaxy won against New York Red Bulls, 3 to 1. All four goals scored in overtime! What a great game.

P.S. I'll be back to musing on making stuff soon. I've got several things in the pipeline; I just need to keep them under wraps for now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails