fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Monday, March 31, 2008

Best Things are Free Day 19

Limits.

I'm getting older. I'm hardly a twenty-something ingénue anymore. But I can't recall, exactly, when that happened. Probably, technically, at 30.

But the great advantage of getting older is that, although you may not become what you want, you can be who you are. So much falls away. No, I'll never be in the Olympics. No, I'll never be crowned a queen of anything, not a state, nor a state fair. I'll never perform surgery. I'll never train Shamu. I'll never climb Everest. Never say never? Already have. And I'm good with it.

Because the limitations also allow focus. I know at what I'm good and that, at which I'm not so good. I know which expectations I can exceed, and those for which I will fall short.

That said, since I've crossed off state fair queen and orthopedic surgeon, I still have a long, long list of possibilities. It even includes possibilities that were not on the list when I was that wide-eyed ingéneu. I think I know what I can do.

3 comments:

Eva said...

It never narrows down to one, does it, but always keeps on branching of in so many exciting new directions.
Thanks for reminding me of looking at the way ahead when the way behind still doesn't want to let go.
Eva - droping some wheight to get a lift of..;)

nic said...

ah yes...so much falls away, and the lightness and clarity feels good. :)

*Sweet*Caroline* said...

so true...

Sabine

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails