fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Best Things are Free Day 2

The German word is Ohrwurm. "Ear worm". Which sounds pretty nasty. And sometimes it is. But it is not some auditory parasite. Not exactly, anyway. It is a song you can't get out of your head.

I have ear worms almost all the time. It is a mighty strange soundtrack to my life. Mighty strange. My favorite ear worms come from when I accidentally hear a song I haven't heard in forever.

This is my ear worm right now. It reminds me of being a teenager, riding trains around Europe in the smoking section, where all the kids my age hung out.
... and fading to Hassler's Cantate Domino ... and now Surf Punk's My Wave ...

RCRDLBL, if you haven't heard by now, is a great source for new ear worms. And it's free.

Ohrwürme. Ich habe sie ständig. Läuft gerade Musik nicht, spielt in meinem Kopf einen sehr komischen Soundtrack ab. Sehr komisch.

Ich habe es eigentlich gerne, wenn der Ursprungs des Ohrwurms nun aus einem zufällig seit langem nicht mehr gehörten Lied hervorgerufen wird.

Momentan läuft dieses mir im Kopf. Es erinnert mich daran, Teenager zu sein und im Raucherabteil im Zug um Gleichaltrigen kennenzulernen zu sitzen.

RCRDLBL, sollst du noch nicht wissen, ist eine exzellente Quelle für neue Ohrwürme. Und alles umsonst.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails