fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Okay, so I sent it.

Thank you for your long and thoughtful responses to my last post. They really encouraged me and I mailed the letter to the local paper.

I like schools and I like the concept of learning with other children and being taught by professionals. I am also to this day very, very, very grateful to that handful of teachers that really taught me something, I especially want to thank my American lit teacher for teaching me symbolism and finding the story within a story and my driver's ed teacher, who drilled into us a full turn of the head for that blind spot check before turning, because "there might just be a bicycle back there. Always think that there's going to be a bicycle back there that appeared out of nowhere." Twice now, in fact, bicycles have appeared in my blind spot from out of nowhere. And thanks to my driver's ed instructor and that "full turn of the head", those cyclists are not paralyzed from the neck down.

I greatly admire those whom I know who homeschool. I am so very impressed by their children, their intellect, curiosity and abilities. I applaud those moms and dads, who in addition to all their other responsibilities, find new ways to foster learning at home. I am truly amazed. And thankful for their efforts to make great citizens.

I don't think I could homeschool. This is likely because of a lack of will on my part. And a lack of patience. And also a deep aversion to all forms of math beyond geometry. I like geometry. Me no likey calculus. Me hatey calculus.

I don't think our schools here are preparing our kids for the global, knowledge-based economy. I just don't.

3 comments:

Cris Dukehart said...

OH Nancy... the metaphor!
I have had soooo many bicyclists in my blind spot!I wish that someone had said "take a good hard look, a full on look, before you leave, 'cause there might just be a bike back there.
Bravo for the sent letter too.
At the risk of sounding condescending, I'm very proud of you.

mooi hoor... said...

But they are lucky and have parents who think about this and therefore they are not totally reliant on what they learn at school...

nic said...

Good on ya for sending that letter. And I, too, lack the fortitude required for homeschooling with joy. I could do it, but we'd all be miserable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails