fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

New digs




I don't know; maybe you're curious. This is where the magic happens (read "accounting, filing, sorting").

It's a small office in a post-War Modernist building that I am truly crushing on: Windows right up to the ceiling; concrete block walls in and out, blurring the line between indoors and outdoors; a row of giant globe light fixtures right outside my window, which are bright enough to light up the office in the evening... The office itself is slightly smaller than I need and slightly more expensive than I can afford, so I think it's probably the right compromise. Plus, I can walk here from home and to both of the kids' schools. All good.


Nothing beats metro shelves. That's about half of the pattern stock.
It all happens here: Production, warehousing, administration. The actual magic happens--the magic when a good idea comes along--that can happen anywhere at anytime. More likely in places where the Sales and Use Tax Return is not looming a mere five feet away.



From all this, maybe steal this idea: The workbench is from a big box home improvement store and cost less than $200. The pegboard is handy for all the surgical sewing equipment we need, when a scrub nurse isn't handy ("seam ripper", "thread snipper", "Thank you Nurse Sven" (in my fantasy, my scrub nurse is male, Swedish and works in this operating room between modeling gigs...)). There is a light and electrical outlet strip. I can post inspiration with magnets right in front of me, like this note from Anna: "You make my life enjoyibl." (Back atcha, babe). Anyway, for small space sewing, this workbench sure is handy. The work surface is a bit higher than a regular table. I'm waiting for this stool to arrive (practically new on Ebay in the U.S.!). I'm anxious to try it out.

3 comments:

Lola Nova said...

Happy congratulations to you on your post-War Modernist compromise! It looks a treat and the light is a dream. It's nice to get a back stage pass to the show, to see where the magic breaks loose. I can just imagine the success that will come from such a space!

Chris said...

It looks reaaaaaally good! I wish you only happy and creative times in your workspace !!

XOXO, Chris

tonihamel said...

I am soooooooo jealous!!! Everything looks FANTUABULOUS Fancy Nancy! :D I can't wait to one day get my boo-tay to the CA...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails