fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Best Things are Free Day 24





Not being afraid of getting wet.

I've come across Design for Mankind recently. I don't know who this person is, but she has three bachelors' degrees and is a blond Midwesterner in Los Angeles. So she could be me (I'm trying to think if there are any long periods of time that I can't remember or for which I can't account ... maybe this is me, an alternate identity, a younger, hipper dog-lover with better taste... ). I digress. This person (very probably not me) puts out such great positive ripples for anybody wanting to pursue a creative endeavor. I like what she has to say about networking

I think we all have a tiny, instinctual hesitancy to introduce ourselves to somebody new, upload a piece of work we have put our heart into for Internet scrutiny, jump into the water. Hey, nobody ever drown by not getting wet!

I learned lifesaving a long time ago, so I'm not sure if this is recommended anymore for actually rescuing somebody from the water. But I do remember this from my life-saving classes, that I'd like to add metaphorically: If a person can splash around enough to keep his head above the water, he's not drowning and, with a little guidance, he can splash his way to safety. As such, you can make it through the water. You'll need somebody you trust to show you direction and say keep going, you'll make it, this way, you're doing great, keep going.

I say, go ahead and get wet. Trust yourself. It's a thrill. And you never know who you will meet and who will help you help yourself. Also (ref. top illustration), reach for the beauty, not the money. Reaching for the money will take you down and you may miss the beauty altogether.

1 comment:

/// said...

Awww, this is a fantastic post! See? We could be TWINS! :)

Thanks for the sweet link... :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails