fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Monday, May 5, 2008

Bull: Red, whips and otherwise




Well, took a few days off from writing on fledge. I had not a single profound idea to share. Except something about Wonder Woman, which I will likely use later, if I remember.

It was a pretty Jack-intense itinerary. We made a weekend of seeing the Red Bull Air Races up close and personal. We tried, anyway. Bought tickets and showed up two hours ahead of time and everything. To no avail. As it turned out, the venue had tens of thousands of patrons, but an area to actually see the race to fit but a few hundred. I like to think of it as $30 tickets for the "Red Bull Hair / Faces" (Get it? It rhymes: Air Races/Hair Faces. No? It can't all be blog gold). Well, hair and faces was about all you could see. I saw interesting tattoos, and I saw that the whole buckle-your-shorts-at-about-the-hip-bone-and-have-your-boxer-shorts-puff-out-over-the-top-fashion doesn't seem to have lost steam, and I saw empty Coors bottles strewn about, and nacho cheese enslimed paper plates, and cell phones held aloft photographing in the direction of the buzzing engines, but I didn't see anything resembling an air race. The top image was my view. I did get some nice photos on Qualifying Day, however, I won't post those because they really are not representative of what one would see at the Red Bull Air Races. The top photo is. Talk about bull. Red and otherwise. So, if you were considering going to the Air Races, don't. Take that, Red Bull: The three people that read this blog--you've lost their business!

Some other images that caught my attention recently. There's a couple of big billboards proclaiming "Indy May 22". I gather that to mean that May 22nd is for independents--designers, voters, musicians, writers, filmmakers, Joneses and otherwise. "Indy May 22": Go for it. Bull whip optional.

A Cadillac full of 5¢ deposit recyclables. Traditional American luxury car, making ends meet by collecting recyclables, saving the planet. Something like that. I'm easily amused.

1 comment:

Miss K.P.-Ness said...

She is STILL the cutest Stinkbug in all of theater history.

And, quit taking photographs whilst driving in L.A.!!!

Happy May 6th to you my friend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails