fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trick or treat, crash and burn...

I like things that fly. I like finding myself in a conversation about the shortcomings of flying wings. I've never seen an X-29 actually fly and until I do, I'll maintain my position that it doesn't. I think war is stupid, but I think the fact that the F-22 cruises at 1.5 mach is pretty awesome. On Friday, Jack and I had an opportunity to tour Edwards Air Force Base and the NASA Dryden Flight Research Center. This is the location of many aviation milestones. And it is the location of many aviation disasters. The air force base's namesake, Glen Edwards, was himself the victim of a YB-49 crash.

In terms of Halloween costumes, I sort of crashed and burned this year, too.



We were going with Greek monsters this year. And Anna as Medusa. She likes snakes. She likes monsters. But she hates the wig. (After a bit of Googling, I learned that Medusa was also considered a goddess of true knowledge and the reason that a person would die upon gazing upon her face, was that she revealed a person's true nature).

I had a little more success with Jack. He's a cyclops.


And let's throw in a bit of cyclops trivia: Depending on the narrative, the cyclops are the children of different gods, including Uranus (sky) and Gaia (Earth), who were banished to the underworld, but called back to Earth whenever the Titans needed a good butt-kicking. A cyclops also gave Zeus his favorite accoutrements, his thunder and lighting. So there.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

wow, what a good costums. Great halloween.

Kind regards, Jessica

Lola Nova said...

Those costumes are amazing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails