fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Relay team


This is a picture of my son after the City track meet. He could not leave the field fast enough. His event was the 400m Relay. Let me tell you this: Jack was the anchor and he passed two kids in his 100m stretch. Still, his team finished 4th. "I hate Robert." That was all he managed to say after several minutes.

"You might be angry at him right now, but you don't hate him. Everybody messes up once in a while. "

I guess Robert was a bit confused and jogged instead of sprinted his first leg. Jack thinks he was just goofing off. And somehow, to Jack, his personal absolutely outstanding performance did not matter. The saying goes you learn the most through disappointment and hard times. I hope Jack learns that each member of a sports team or a project team is important.

It got me to thinking about Sabine and the Farbenmix team. Never once have they jogged when they should have sprinted. Never once have they dropped the baton. Never once said a discouraging word. I'm so lucky to have this team on my side.

I get asked once in a while, "So, how do you make sewing patterns?" Well, it's really not anything more than getting the pieces drafted and graded and then sending the sheet to the printers. Just like that, you've got yourself a sewing pattern! Well, there is more to it. For me, at least, you need a few people, whom you admire, who believe in your design and whose honest opinion you respect, and who will invest their own time and ideas to make your idea work. That is the input that makes a sewing pattern a good sewing pattern. Absolutely essential.

Thank you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails