fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Friday, July 27, 2012

Small but mighty, big but tastey


Did I tell you my girl is Los Angeles County Junior Lifeguard this summer? She breezed through the swim test with an excellent time. And she's a frontrunner in swimming and beach running. I'll admit (to you, not to her): I had pretty low expectations. I wasn't sure she'd qualify. But she's excelling. She's small, but mighty. Who knew? Maybe this is her thing.

The day before Junior Lifeguards starts: "Do I have to go? I hate Junior Guards. I don't want to go. You can't make me go!"

The first day after I pick her up from Junior Lifeguards:"I love JG's!! Our instructor is soooooo nice! I got fourth in swimming! And first for girls! I love Junior Guards!!"

(Uh-huh. Told you so.)

In addition to lots of buoy swims and beach runs and calisthenics, there is also the occasional cookie contest.  ("JG" is short for "Junior Guards"). Pwn'd biggest cookie category. Uh-huh!

1 comment:

toadstooldots said...

big congrats to your tough girl!!! she can be really proud and you too!
the cookies are looking awesome, yumm!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails