fledge capable of flying, from Middle English flegge, from Old English -flycge; akin to Old High German flucki capable of flying,
Old English flEogan to fly -- more at FLY
intransitive verb, of a young bird : to acquire the feathers necessary for flight or independent activity

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

WANDA W.I.P.

I neglected to photograph the layout of the pattern pieces of the WANDA pattern on the fabric. Well, I really didn't lay out any fabric. WANDA is a design that just  says, "I eat remnants." In fact, I would go so far as to say the fabric requirements of WANDA are zero. Zero, because since you'll just be using what you have on scraps laying around, it's not like using any fabric at all. Okay, I embellish a little. 

And embellishing is what I've managed to do today. One of the exciting design elements of the WANDA trousers are these flap details. I don't know what to call them. "Calf corsets"? Whatever we decide to call these happy flappies ("happy flappies"?), they are the first thing I'm going to get out of the way.

I'm using mostly a 100% cotton velveteen for these trousers. For the facing of the flap details, I'm using a lighter weight cotton material. Because I am using several different fabrics, it is important that I have pre-washed all the different fabric. Otherwise, I run the risk of having some material shrink differently, making for some real wonkiness coming out of the washing machine.

I add some fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the flap detail facings to strengthen the material for when I add buttonholes or grommets through which to insert the calf corset lacing.



I stitch the flap facing pieces to the flap front pieces along all edges, except the long edge, which will be inserted into the inseams and outseams.




I notch the corners for a smooth turn, turn and topstitch along those stitched sides.








I deviate (being so devious) from the photo tutorial and add the grommets now. Buttonholes and grommets are, traditionally, the final step. But my thinking is this: Buttonholes and grommets are something I could, theoretically, mess up. No, not theoretically: Very practically, I have made some wonky buttonholes ruining (in my mind) an otherwise perfect garment. So, if I have the option to put in buttonholes et. al. before being assembled, I will. That way, if necessary, I can just redo that one piece of the garment without dulling the seam ripper more than it is.




I choose the bigger grommets. I lay them on the material and mark with disappearing ink where I will take my big girl scissors and cut out a little hole for the post of the grommet to fit through. I fold the fabric over and snip (no poking through the fabric with the blade of the scissor. That's just going to lead to Band-Aids, best case scenario).






Here are the finished flap doodles and the little grommet divets (we're just making up all kinds of vocabulary today).




On to the back pockets. I embellish a bit. Then I fold in the edges and press the three sides and topstitch at the width of my pressure foot.






Saying "WANDA" so much just makes me think of Wanda Jackson, the first woman to record rock-a-billy and rock 'n roll. Let's take a moment of loudness to remember Wanda.


That girl is over 70 years old and still performing. Last night Spoorland, Holland. GRRRrrowl. Let's have a party! And let's see how far I get tomorrow!

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Flapdoodles!! All grommety!!

I'm with you, totally. I'm okay with buttonholes, but practically any other detailing I want to do before I assemble anything. Because, yeah, chances of me grommeting my finger instead of the flap doodle are high.

And Wanda! Love her! My daughter's favorite singer, I hope she gets to see her someday!

Eileen said...

Im so excited your doing the wanda! I've had a heck of a time just figuiring out the parts! Can't wait to see the Rest.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails